(NC)—Is your microwave relegated to heating up leftovers and popping popcorn? Armed with the latest technological advances, microwaves are quickly becoming the home chef’s culinary companion. Try these simple cooking tips from Panasonic to get the most out of your microwave:
• Even Cooking: For best results, food should always be arranged with thicker portions, like meats, on the outside of the dish to promote even heat distribution. Using a round dish or one with a cone in the center will also help.
• Cover Up: If it’s covered in the oven, it should be covered in the microwave. This also helps food retain moisture and cook more evenly. Remember to leave a small gap between the food and the lid, and keep one corner open to allow steam to escape.
• Hold the Butter: Oils and butters used to sauté foods conventionally aren’t needed with microwave cooking. If butter flavour is desired, add a small amount after cooking and it will be absorbed during the standing time. The same can be done with your favourite herbs and spices.
• Setting the Time: Microwaves cook foods quickly so less time is needed to get the same results. A good rule is to allot 6 minutes per pound for most foods including meat and vegetables.
• Warming Drawer: Microwaves that offer the “Keep Warm” feature will maintain the temperature without overcooking, similar to a traditional warming drawer. Perfect for entertaining and every day meal prep this function works well for casseroles, sauces and even desserts.
• Trade Up to Inverter Technology: Thinking of a new microwave for you or as a gift? Look for those with unique, innovative options like Panasonic’s state-of-the art, proprietary Inverter technology that adjusts power levels to maintain the texture, flavour and nutritional value of foods without overcooking. These new appliances also offer stainless steel finishes, built-in trim kits and over-the-range options for a stylish and functional addition to any kitchen.